Sewing with Knits

 

Yesterday, I decided to sew with knits. Had to change the sewing machine needle to a Jersey 12 and find some poly blend or polyester thread. That's right no Aurifil but Coats and Clark makes great all purpose thread. The only time I don't use Aurifil is to sew knit fabric.

Little Lilly is due May 1st and I really wanted to make her a Little Geranium Dress (link to free dress). The pattern is for a cotton dress (0-3 months), I wanted to use knit and changed things a little. Made the bodice like the pattern,using snaps instead of buttons since I bought a snap kit a month ago from Amazon. I'll wait to place the snap until she is born. The skirt section, I just cut a piece of knit fabric and gathered the top of it. Then with right sides together I started sewing 2" down from the top to the bottom. Pinned and sewed the bodice to the skirt. Still working on sewing the bottom. A friend on Instagram suggested making it 26" long. Then pinning to make a casing for elastic at the bottom. It will be more like a gown but the pattern by Made By Rae - sewing patterns, tutorials and projects by Rae is excellent. I will use it to make a cotton dress for the baby too! Recommend this pattern. If you need a bigger pattern she has it available for sale Geranium Dress Sewing Pattern PDF | Made by Rae!

PDF or Paper Patterns

I personally like .pdf patterns because many patterns come in multiple sizes. I can print whatever size I need but if I buy a multi sized paper pattern once I cut it I only have the one size. Just something to think about when you a starting out sewing clothing.

 

Poppy Troll is wearing the babies mittens that I made. The pattern link is in the last post In The Boon Docks: Simple Little Things Babies is great! They are so little and cute. I really recommend it! The pattern is well written and easy to follow.

 

This morning I jumped out of bed, at 4:30 am and decided to sew a band to the bottom of my Pandalicious shirt. I made it last year but don't wear it much because the hem kept rolling up, which wasn't very flattering! So now it looks like this and I love it.

 

 

Hopefully, we will be on our way to our daughter's house tomorrow! I am so ready to go. Have a great week and I'll post when I can. Definitely going to get a picture of us in our Pandalicious Fashions! Hugs Lisa

 

Comments

  1. Sew Unique Lisa... I'd love to get my hands on some of that knit fabric... Way Cool!!! Love the dress and very clever idea on adding the band to the bottom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Please feel free to email
comlisajohnson @gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Acquainted New Blogger Blog Hop & Giveaway

April Showers Blog Hop

Aurifil Thread Giveaway - Black and White